Monday, October 5, 2009

The Food I Eat

It exists in such an abundance that it is readily taken for granted. But I am thankful that all I have to do is drive my car down to Publix to pick up all the food I could want. I can sit with a full stomach while others roam the streets hungry or sit at home with their family and nothing on the dinner table. I am thankful that I have enough food to throw away what doesn't look or taste appealing. Food nourishes my body and gives it what it needs. Not everyone has that.

Some people starve. Some people die because they can't get enough to eat. Their lives end. No more experiences. No more conversations. No more sunny days. No more anything. And here I sit, sick of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Well, thank you for those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Thank you for having them at all, so that I may complain about them. Thank you for having enough food that I can get tired of it. I am grateful for every piece of fruit I eat. I am grateful for every glass of orange juice I drink. I am grateful for every plate of scrambled eggs I have. Thank you for letting me live.

No comments:

Post a Comment