Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Computer

This computer allows me to do so many things that are pretty much essential in this modern life. Most professional and informal contact is conducted by email (or Facebook). I monitor, make adjustments, and control my bank accounts online. I pay many of my bills via the web. My computer helps me keep my translations accurate, organized, and quick. I can research future expenses and products to make sure I'm making the best decision. I use internet learning tools to expand my knowledge and skills. I can buy books, clothes, and replacement toothbrush heads. I can record and mix music (though to be fair, I haven't in a while). This list would go on far to long if I was to sit and write out every single advantage this computer gives me. Honestly, I probably couldn't think of every one.

The point is, this machine is powerful and enables important, everyday functions in my life. Of course I could live without it and be just fine. But would I be able to compete with translators who can turn a project around several times faster than me because I'm stuck using a paper dictionary and writing everything out by hand? Nope. I would probably get very little work because no one would be willing to wait not only for the slower translation time, but for actually receiving the finished product via snail mail (many clients live halfway across the world). This thing makes things much more efficient. And who am I kidding. A few silly cat pictures never hurt anybody, either.

So thank you, computer, for guiding me through life in the 21st century. May you continue to be a tool for good and help me lead a more flourishing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment