Thursday, March 10, 2016

Mind Palaces

Ironically, I don't remember if I've made a post about these, yet. But that's OK. I don't see anything wrong with extending my gratitude multiple times to the same subject. In fact, I would say that's a sign that my perspective is beginning to incorporate mindful gratitude more readily. Just because I've expressed being thankful for chairs once doesn't mean I should never be thankful for them again. 

Anyways, mind palaces. I believe I first came across this concept in the recent popular (and awesome) rendition of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock). When confronted with a puzzling clue, our detective simply retreats into his mind palace where he has stored (seemingly) every fact and bit of information he has ever come across. Essentially, it's a library or filing system for the brain and, ideally, a means to a perfect memory. 
(photo as it appears on http://sherlockianlandscapes.tumblr.com)

Later, I got to explore the concept further and read a first-hand account of developing and training one's mind palace in Joshua Foer's "Moonwalking with Einstein." Over the course of the book, Joshua invites the reader to actively participate and try making his or her own mind palace to memorize a shopping list of about seventeen random items. Wouldn't you know it? It totally works. I read that book three or four months ago and I still remember that list. That's totally insane! My brain was able to absorb and retain a group of random words that I have zero connection with and do so long-term. That is absolutely incredible. I recommend that everyone try it, if only to feel the true power of our minds for a moment. 

It does take some effort and I've only used it a few times (once for a shopping list, and another time to memorize the top ten exports of Russia and the top ten countries to which they export—I decided I should use it for something more relevant to my interests for once). It really works and it's really amazing. I am grateful for these little mental explorations and discoveries of our own abilities. Thank you, mind palaces, for not only making memorizing fun and interesting, but for giving me practical power that I can readily apply to both my personal and professional life (should I choose to harness that power). Here's to a lifetime of expanding our architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment