Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Comfortable, Warm House

Last night, I found myself grateful for the comfortable, warm house I'm living in. It was fairly cold outside and there I was, tucked in bed under the blankets, when I heard the heater kick on. How lucky I am. I could absolutely survive without a heater, as many people do out of necessity. As I sit in this house, many people are in the street, struggling to find shelter, food, and warmth. They don't have the option to decide whether or not they turn the heater on (let alone decide what their 'perfect' temperature is). They don't have the luxury of crawling inside a warm bed or a warm house that protects them from the elements and other dangers. Instead, they're left out in the cold, fending for themselves and hoping for the best.

I have it pretty damn easy and I've done nothing in particular to deserve it. Thank you, house, for keeping me safe and giving me a space I can call my own. Thank you, heater, for keeping warm and comfortable with little effort from me. Thank you, everything little thing that I have in my life that makes it just a little better, even if I'm not even consciously aware of how I benefit from it.

May I always strive for self-awareness and awareness of my surroundings, and may I always find something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment