Thursday, May 12, 2016

Goodwill Finds

(photo as it appears on: http://nemaloknig.info/read-267806/?page=15)


I am grateful for today's finds at Goodwill. Right off the bat I found an unopened, fully-functional speedometer for my bike. I've been pushing myself to go harder and faster and I'm curious to see how fast I'm actually going (and to keep track of it to be sure I'm improving). It'll also be nice to see how far I bike everyday.

After that, I happened upon the eye-opening book on the universe and astrophysics that I had originally acquainted myself with in high school via my local library: Black Holes and Times Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip S. Thorne. I'm super pumped to read this again. (By the way, this book was published in 1994 and in it Kip describes the theory of gravitational waves and models of what they would look like should they actually exist. Lo and behold, they were discovered this year and the models match exactly! Amazing brains we have on this planet...) Kip was also a consultant for the movie Interstellar to verify that the physics in the movie were correct.

Lastly, I found a book that (I hope) will be interesting and relevant to my wife. It melds ideas of identity and place and tries to understand the union of people and the cities they live in (at least, that's what I garnered from the back).

Here's to thrifty finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment