Monday, May 9, 2016

Today's Run: Becoming a Warrior


(photo as it appears on: http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2015/04/09/dynamic-running-therapy---psychoanalysis-outdoors-william-pullen)

I am grateful for today's run. Every run presents its own challenges. Maybe my knees start hurting and tightening up and I have to stride extra super carefully to be able to finish (and hopefully not slow down too much). Maybe I didn't eat enough and I feel weak. Maybe I ate too much and I feel nauseous. Maybe my mind is telling me I can't make it when I push myself to go harder and faster.

This is why I love running. It seems as simple as putting my feet to the pavement, but there are a million internal battles that go on under the surface. And every time I push through and make it to the finish, I emerge victorious. I'm training my mind and body to become warriors; to be able to face any challenge undaunted; to embrace obstacles as opportunities to become stronger. Some days (like today), it's hard to motivate myself to get out the door and run after work, but in the end it's always worth it.

That runner's high ain't bad, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment